Have you ever found yourself rummaging through your kitchen cabinets and drawers wishing you had just a little more light? What a nuisance! Yet, it’s fairly easy to update your cabinets with the proper lighting to make this problem go away once and for all. Undercabinet lighting is designed to illuminate work surfaces from above, which reduces shadows so that you can easily see what you’re doing on top of a counter, in a cabinet, or other work spaces.
Having trouble deciding what type of undercabinet lighting is right for you? This guide provides you with insight into our top under cabinet lighting recommendations and the reasons that we recommend these particular models.
Our “Value” Recommendation in Under Cabinet Lighting
If you are looking for quality under cabinet lighting on a budget then we recommend the Maxim Lighting CounterMax 120 Volt Direct Wire Xenon Under Cabinet lights. The affordable 87831 series comes in either a white or bronze finish and is available in a variety of different sizes to suit your specific needs. Unlike some other similarly priced products, the Maxim CounterMax series comes with the Xenon bulbs so you won’t have to run to the store to try to find the right light bulbs for your new under cabinet lighting. Most importantly, this is a direct wire 120 volt option that makes it one of the easiest types of undercabinet lighting for anyone to install.
Not looking for the ultimate in under cabinet lighting but still want a little more than the value option? We have just the thing for you. While there are many mid-range undercabinet options we recommend the Kichler Series I TaskWork Modular 12 Volt Xenon. This is a 12 volt undercabinet lighting system with a built-in electronic transformer that uses Xenon bulbs, which are included with the purchase. You can use these lights individually, interconnected with cables or snapped together, providing you with numerous configurations to create the perfect under cabinet lighting design for your home.
Each of the individual fixtures has its own Hi-Low, On-Off switch and there is also a Master Switch Option that allows you to turn the lights on and off together as a unit. This means that you can use the undercabinet lights that you need at any given time without wasting lighting in the other areas of the space. There are four sizes to choose from and they come in three different finishes, so there will be a design that easily suits the style of your home.
When we’re asked for our “best” under cabinet lighting, the answer is always Kichler’s Design Pro LED Modular & Disc light series. First of all, they’re LED lights which are a terrific option for anyone who wants to enjoy energy-efficient lighting in the home, without sacrificing quality. The LEDs will last for 40,000 or more hours before needing to be replaced and they are included in your purchase. Not only will you save energy (and costs) around the home but you can install them and then forget about them for years on end without worrying about their maintenance.
That isn’t all that makes the Kichler’s Design Pro series the ultimate in under cabinet lighting, though. Other key features of these lights include:
- They are ultra thin. The 3/8″ profile of the Discs and the 1/2″ profile of the Modular lights makes these undercabinet lights virtually invisible once installed, well until you turn them on! Also the ultra thin profile of won’t interfere with your cabinet space while providing versatile, adequate workspace lighting.
- The lights can be fully dimmed. The optional Z-Wave Full Range Dimmer Switch offers a dimming range from 0 to 100%, which gives the right amount of lighting for any task. The high brightness and efficient LEDs have a CRI in the mid 80s and a choice of either 2700K or 3000K color temp. Kichler’s LEDs have true optics with a pure white light and beam control without fading.
- There is also a Night Light option with a photo sensor built in and it only consumes 1 watt of power. This allows for safe, convenient, and efficient lighting at night without having to think about turning on that bright light over the sink or stove.
- There are a variety of connections available. The Discs have spooled wire design inside the fixture, so you just pull out what you need (up to 36″). The Modular & Disc lights can be used together and configured for your lighting needs best suited in your kitchen.
- You can choose your design. You can choose from the basic rectangular modular design or the alternative (and more affordable!) disc-shaped design. You can choose from brushed nickel, brushed bronze, and white finish for either of these models or a black finish on the disc model of the light. There is also an Energy Star rated configuration available. You definitely don’t have to compromise on the design of your space when choosing the right lighting for your home!
Don’t forget that if you have trouble selecting the right Under Cabinet lighting, or any other lighting for that matter, our personal shopper feature can help you out with free professional advice.