Archive for the ‘Chandeliers’ Category
Do you need a new dining room light? We are giving one away – a stunning drum pendant light – to someone in need. All that you need to do is to show us that you really need it by providing us with a picture of the dining room light that you’re currently suffering with. The ugliest light wins.
The winner of this giveaway will receive the Quoizel Utopia 3 Light Drum Pendant.
This drum pendant is the perfect item to update any old dining room. The classy design of its cream silk drum shade peeks out from the artistic flair of a black metal shade overlay with gorgeous leaf cutouts. The effect will transform your dining room into a magical place with the perfect ambience. And if one day far into the future you decide that you need a different chandelier or pendant in your dining room then you can move this one to another part of the house because it has a versatile design that will work in almost any room. So, are you ready to win this great prize?
Here’s how to enter:
All you need to do to enter is share your ugly dining room light with us on our Facebook page. Here are the simple steps for doing that.
1. Take a picture of what you think is the ugliest dining room light you’ve ever seen.
2. Visit us on Facebook.
3. Click Like at the top of the page.
4. Click to share a photo on our wall.
5. Select “upload a photo” and upload the image of the photo that you’ve stored on your computer.
6. Add a comment with a little bit of information about the ugly light you want to replace in our contest.
7. Click share and you’re entered! (feel free to share this with your friends)
All of the entries will be reviewed and a winner will be selected by our staff. The winner will be the person with the best ugly lighting photo since that is who really needs this prize!
Runner Up Prize
A random runner-up winner will be chosen from all of the entries
So what does the runner-up win? It’s a great modern Kichler LED desk lamp:
The sleek geometric design of this desk lamp will never go out of style. Since it uses energy-efficient LED bulbs it provides a contemporary but affordable task lighting option for your home.
This giveaway will end on June 1st, 2011. Get your entry in by then! A winner will be selected by June 2nd. The winners will be notified by email and announced here on the blog.
The Fine Print
This offer is open to U.S. residents only. Contest void in Florida, New York, and Rhode Island. Also void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law. Lighting by Lux reserves sole and final judgement in contest, no ifs, ands or buts. Maximum one contest entries per person. Contest entrants must “Like” Lighting By Lux on Facebook between the date of this post and June 1st, 2011 in order to be eligible.”
A stunning chandelier never fails to attract attention when you walk into the room. However, you don’t have to have a huge chandelier to make a room better with a hanging light. Smaller chandeliers and other types of pendant lights (such as ceiling fans) can make a huge impact on the ambience of any home without overwhelming the entire space. They add stunning ambience that improves the beauty of the room in which they are carefully placed.
Chandeliers are Decorative Lighting
The most important thing for you to realize is that these types of lights are designed for decorative lighting more than for functional lighting. Understanding this will help you use these lights correctly.
Tips that relate to this point include:
- Use chandeliers and pendant lights to light specific areas, not whole rooms.
- Select these types of lights for their beauty and aesthetic appeal.
- Place these in rooms that aren’t already dominated by other bold interior décor items so that they can stand out as a statement piece.
- Put these lights in rooms where intimate low-lighting is desirable.
Defining the Chandelier
Let’s start with chandeliers since they tend to be the most impactful lighting option for the home. What exactly is a chandelier? In short it is a light fixture that has a main body off of which protrudes multiple arms and each arm holds its own socket or lamp. A chandelier does not have to be a large and dramatic statement piece of lighting although it can be.
There are some people who enjoy very simple lighting with a few easy curved lines. Then there are those of us who prefer detailed, intricate geometric designs. If you fall into the latter category (or are just looking for something truly distinct in lighting) then you absolutely have to check out the Schonbek Geometrix line of lights. Covered in gorgeous Swarovski crystals, these high-tech light fixtures decorate the home much like great jewelry decorates the body.
More than just great lines
The most outstanding immediate feature of the Geometrix lights is the cool geometric lines and patterns that make up the designs. This isn’t just about triangles and rectangles. You’ll find spirals, pyramids, pentahedrons, spheres and more.
However, it’s not just the great geometric patterns that make this line of lights so amazing. There are many neat high-tech design features including:
- Distinct pairing of lighting with STRASS Swarovski crystals, an effect that actually change the way that the light interacts with the space in the home
- Combination of halogen, xenon and LED lighting
- Lights with colors that put on light shows in your home
- Chandelier models that can be washed in your dishwasher!
Top Geometrix by Schonbek products
Let’s take a closer look at some of the leading products in this amazing line:
- Compact DaVinci LED Chandelier. The DaVinci chandeliers are all pretty impressive. They’re decorated with an abundance of luminescent Swarovski crystals. They range in diameter from ten inches to two feet. And yet, these massive balls of incredible light can be taken apart and washed safely in the dishwasher. The LED chandelier in this line takes it to a whole new level. It uses energy-efficient LED lighting in 10, 12 and 15-inch chandeliers that can be hung individually or grouped together for a neat constellation effect. The LED lights can be programmed to show off different colors. Great for parties and creating different moods in the home! And yes, it’s still dishwasher safe.
What could be better than a beautiful chandelier? How about a beautiful chandelier that is designed specifically to benefit a great cause? Crystorama, a manufacturer of amazing lighting products, really wowed customers when they created a terrific light fixture specifically to benefit the families of children with cancer.
When Crystorama was founded in Brooklyn in the 1950’s, the main function of the company was the import of stunning crystal chandeliers from exotic destinations. Over the years, Crystorama has grown to source the best crystals from around the world, which are then used to create their unique lighting products. Their goal is to create interior decorative lighting that exceeds industry “standards for innovative styles, value, service, and valued relationships”.
About Crystorama Products
Crystorama describes its own products as “tomorrow’s antiques”, a term that really fits what they create. The elaborate chandeliers from this company are made using traditional designs, antique molds and specialized craftsmanship. The result is that there is a traditional, vintage look to Crystorama’s chandeliers. The high-quality lights are certainly suitable to modern spaces but they bring in that mysterious element from the past.
How Crystorama is Helping the Embrace Kids Foundation
Crystorama teamed up with Swarovski crystal to create a brand new chandelier. The fixture is part of their Brentwood line of products. The popular product is a gorgeous chandelier that can improve the interior design of many different types of spaces. How does this help kids with cancer? Each time that someone purchases this charity chandelier design, a portion of the proceeds goes to the Embrace Kids Foundation.
If you stay on top of the latest trends in lighting then you have already noticed that drum shade fixtures are experiencing a huge revival of late. These fixtures are popular due in large part to the fact that they work with nearly any style of decor. They are also popular because there are so many different designs within the same simple shape. And people like drum shade fixtures because their widespread availability makes it possible to get a style that you like at a price that you can afford.
The fact that drum shade fixtures work with basically any type of decor is probably the single biggest reason that they have become so popular. The drum shade chandelier or pendant light is a simple round shape. It is possible to get fixtures with variations on the basic design. However, at its core, this is a circular shade that can be set against any type of background. Perhaps you have an edgy modern home; the drum shade can soften the rougher edges while maintaining your modern style. Or maybe you have a classic sense of style; the drum shade will honor that by complementing your furnishings in an unobtrusive way.
As drum shade fixtures have become more and more popular, so many new designs for them have come into the market. You can find drum shade pendants in nearly every size. They are made from many different types of materials. If there is a color that you want to add to your room, there’s a drum shade out there that will work for you to add it. You can select a series of medium-sized drum shades in boldly patterned prints or a large drum shade chandelier with elegant crystals hanging from it.
Buying a Schonbek chandelier is about more than just buying a pretty light. It’s about buying an elegant item for your home that can serve as a contemporary statement piece as well as an heirloom piece to be passed down to the younger generations in your family. Choosing the right type of crystal is the most important part of selecting the right Schonbek chandelier.
Schonbek offers many different types of crystals in their fixtures. Each one has unique features that embody the essence of a specific historical period in crystal construction. There are four key types of Schonbek crystal that are important to consider when choosing a chandelier.
- Swarovski Strass. Many consider Swarovski Strass crystal to be the best quality in the world. It is a flaw-free type of clear crystal that is manufactured in the Austrian Alps. Swarovski Strass crystal contains over 30% of lead content, which means that it’s a type of crystal that truly sparkles. It is machine-cut with absolute precision and coated with an invisible coating that makes it easy to clean so that you can retain that amazing sparkle.
- Swarovski Spectra. This is another option that gives you the brilliance and high quality of the Swarovski name. Schonbek chandeliers featuring Swarovski Spectra crystal sparkle brilliantly in the light. However, they are slightly more affordable than some of the other Schonbek options, which makes them particularly appealing to many buyers.
- Heritage Hand-cut. This type of crystal really shows off the skill of Schonbek. It’s a high-quality hand-cut crystal that was once only used in high-quality optical equipment Schonbek recognized that the amazing refractive quality of this crystal would be excellent for chandeliers.